Caring for contact lenses
All contact lenses need constant care (even daily disposable contact lenses). First of all, it is very important for you own health, as during the process of wearing contact lenses lose their moisture and tend to dry out, and gather deposits on their surface - protein complexes, salts and microorganisms, which are formed from lacrimal fluid and can cause unpleasant, painful sensations or inflammations, that, in it's turn, can be dangerous for your eye health. But it is not hard to avoid all of these inconveniences , because nowadays there are a lot of leading companies that produce great variety of care products for contact lenses, and what is more important, many of them have already made important achievements in this sphere, namely, learned how to create universal, multifunctional and complex means which can be used for rinsing, cleaning, disinfection and keeping of contact lenses at the same time. These means can greatly save your time and money. Moreover, almost all modern lenses (even daily disposable contact lenses before wearing) need to be kept in special containers, which, in their turn, should be changed regularly (not less than once a month). Each contact lenses have their own operating period after which old lenses must be utilized and replaced with a new pair (it must necessarily be exactly the same pair of contact lenses, except if your doctor has instructed you to use contact lenses with another properties), however, if you do not care of your contact lenses constantly their service life can be significantly reduced. There are special drops for comfortable and safe wearing of contact lenses which will remove any discomfort that you might experience while wearing and even will help you to get rid of notorious feeling of dryness in eyes (also called as dry eye syndrome). It is very important for all users of contact lenses, but especially for beginners, because their eyes need time to get used to contact lenses and eventually learn to ignore them completely.
Our online-shop Ecolens.ch has not only a great assortment of contact lenses, but also a wide variety of care products. Rememder that it is better to purchase solution for contact lenses beforehand, as well as the new pair of contact lenses.
Tips for care and use of contact lenses
Tips for care and use of contact lenses from Baucsh & Lomb company
Soft contact lenses are very simple, safe and effective way of eyesight correction. However, it is extremely important to remember that these lenses require constant care, can be worn only in regimen that was prescribed by professional ophthalmologist and that you have to complete medical examination every 6 months even if you have no problems, concerned with your eye health.
Enjoy the advantages that contact lenses can give you, but at the same do not forget that they should always be in perfect condition.
ReNu Multi Plus No Rub — simple, comfortable and universal care product that will take care of your contact lenses and will help you to keep them in excellent condition for a long time (and will make all manipulations, concerned with constant care of contact lenses much more easier).
- Cleaning of contact lenses
Put your contact lenses on a palm and apply few drops of ReNu Multi Plus No Rub on your contact lenses. Wipe the surface of the contact lens with forefinger. Repeat this procedure constantly, as it removes more than 90% of all surface contaminants.
- Rinsing of contact lenses
Wash out your contact lenses with ReNu Multi Plus No Rub solution after cleaning procedure.
- Disinfection of contact lenses
Place each contact lens in an appropriate cell of the container. Make sure that the solution covers contact lenses completely. Never use the same solution twice. Close the lids of the container carefully and leave contact lenses in it for at least 4 hours. Disinfection will kill pathogenic bacteria.
- Keeping of contact lenses
ReNu Multi Plus No Rub is a long-acting solution. You can keep your contact lenses in the solution without changing for about 1 month.
In the case of discomfort or if you experience unpleasant feeling of dryness while using contact lenses, you should instill few drops of ReNu MultiPlus in the eyes. Use lubricating drops Baucsh & Lomb, that were specially designed to eliminate the symptoms of any discomfort (dryness, feeling of foreign body, blurred vision and others).
Weekly enzymatic cleaning of contact lenses
If you use soft contact lenses for continuous wearing (more than 3 months) and your eyes are inclined to formation of deposits on the surface of contact lenses, your ophthalmologist can prescribe you additional cleaning from protein deposits. Baucsh & Lomb company produces special protein cleaner pills, which are used for extra care of contact lenses once a week or more often (depending on the prescriptions of your ophthalmologist).
- Rinse both cells of the container for keeping of contact lenses with the help of ReNu Multi Plus No Rub solution and then fill them with fresh solution.
- Dissolve one pill of protein cleaner in each cell for removing of protein deposits.
- Take off, clean and rinse both contact lenses in a conventional manner of daily cleaning, and then put them in appropriate cells of the container.
- Immerse your contact lenses into special solution completely.
- Close both lids, shake container and keep contact lenses in the solution for about 15 minutes. If your contact lenses are contaminated heavily you should keep them in solution for a longer period of time (but not more than 2 hours).
- Take out your contact lenses from above-mentioned container ant then clean and rinse them with the help of ReNu Multi Plus No Rub solution in ordinary way of daily cleaning.
- Pour out the used solution. Rinse the container thoroughly and fill it with ReNu Multi Plus No Rub fresh solution.
- Put your contact lenses into container for keeping and disinfection. After disinfection contact lenses can be put on.
Rules of wearing contact lenses from Johnson & Johnson company
Preparing for fitting of contact lenses
Cleanness is basic and the most important condition of proper care of contact lenses, and so you have to learn well hygienic skills of handling with contact lenses.
- Before touching contact lenses, always wash your hands with mild soap thoroughly, rinse and wipe them dry with a towel, that does not leave fibers on them.
- Before touching your contact lenses, do not use oily cosmetics and cream soaps, as well as lotions and creams. It is recommended to fit contact lenses before applying makeup. Water-based cosmetics have less ability to damage your contact lenses than oil-based cosmetics.
- Close your eyes while using hairspray or other aerosols.
- Consult with professional ophthalmologist about wearing of contact lenses during sports.
- Always follow the recommendations of your ophthalmologist, concerning the rules for handling, fitting, removing, keeping, cleaning and disinfecting of your contact lenses.
- Never wear your contact lenses longer than it was recommended by your ophthalmologist or specified in the recipe.
Opening the blisters with contact lenses
If you want to learn how to open blisters with contact lenses correctly, you should follow these simple rules:
- Shake up blister with contact lens and make sure that it floats freely in the solution.
- Separate a foil from the blister. Sometimes when you open blister, contact lens can stick to inner surface of foil or to wall of a blister. It does not influence on the sterility of the lens, that can be used completely safe.
- Handle with contact lenses very carefully, touch them only with your fingertips and try not to damage them with nails.
- If you do not want to confuse contact lenses with each other, try to develop the habit to start fitting lens with right eye.
- Examine the contact lens and make sure that there are no breaks, and it is not wrinkled around the edges. If contact lens is damaged, do not use it.
- Take the following contact lens out of it's package.
- You should also ensure that the contact lens is not turned inside out (with it's inner surface).
- If you have a need to rinse your contact lens out before fitting it on your eye, try to use only fresh sterilizing solution, that was recommended you by professional ophthalmologist.
- Never use tap water for these purposes.
Fitting of contact lens
- Start to fit your contact lenses with right eye. After you examined the lens and made sure that it did not turn inside out (with it's inner surface), place it on the tip of your forefinger.
- Place your middle finger of the same hand close to eyelash line of lower eyelid and pull the lower eyelid down.
- Lift a little the upper eyelid with a forefinger or middle finger of your other hand. Place contact lens on your eyeball.
- Lower your eyelids carefully and blink for a few times.
- Repeat all these procedures again to fit contact lens on your left eye.
There are other ways of fitting your contact lenses. If method of fitting that was described above is too difficult for you, you should consult with your ophthalmologist and he will recommend more suitable method for you.
Centering of contact lenses
In ordinary cases contact lens is placed automatically in the middle of eye cornea at the moment of fitting, but sometimes it can be shifted in the direction of sclera during wearing. It can happen if you fit or remove contact lens incorrectly. If you need to center your contact lenses, do one of the following manipulations:
- Lower your eyelids and try to move contact lens to it's place carefully using massaging movements through closed eyelids.
- Or carefully move displaced contact lens back to the middle of eye cornea with eyelids opened and pressing with your finger on the edge of upper or lower eyelid.
If your vision is blurred after fitting of contact lens, it can be caused by the fact that it was not set correctly in the center of eye cornea. In this case, follow the above-mentioned instructions.
If your contact lens was fit correctly, take it off and examine for the following points:
- Contact lens is soiled (for example, by cosmetics). Throw the contact lens out and fit a new one.
- Contact lens is fit on the wrong eye.
- Contact lens is turned inside out (with it's inner surface).
What to do if your contact lens is sticked
If contact lens is sticked to your eye and stopped to move, you should instill a few drops of lubricating or moistening solution, that was recommended by your ophthalmologist and wait until it will move freely.
If it does not help, you should consult with your ophthalmologist immediately.
Removing of contact lens
- Always start removing of contact lenses with the lens that was fit at first.
- Before removing your contact lens, wash your hands thoroughly and follow all the rules of hygiene.
- First, make sure that contact lens is fit correctly on eye cornea and only then try to take it off.
- To make sure that contact lens was set correctly, close the other eye. If your vision is blurred it probably means that contact lens is shifted to the white part of the eye (sclera) or got lost at all. To find the lens, examine the upper area of eye, looking down into a mirror while pulling the upper eyelid up at the same time.
- Then examine the lower area of eye by pulling the lower eyelid down.
If you want to take off your contact lens you can use pinch or another method, that was recommended by your ophthalmologist.
- While looking up, move contact lens down to the sclera with the help of your forefinger.
- Squeeze contact lens carefully between thumb and forefinger and then remove it from your eye.